Andaman Discoveries has signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses, organizations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
To ensure our company has a strategic plan for sustainable best practices in place, we have followed criteria and passed audits to become Travelife Certified from 2017 until present. We not only pledge to follow the five action points listed below but have also been implementing additional strategies like monitoring our carbon footprint and creating a carbon offset pledge every year. We have also added numerous internal and external policies to ensure our company and partners are following sustainable best practices that will help in the global fight against climate change.
Check out some our our policies that directly support the fight against climate change:
Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions and have already implemented strategies to combat climate change.
1. Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
2. Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on progress each year.
3. Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
4. Encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community
5. Advocate for change. We recognize the need for system change across the industry to accelerate a just transition towards carbon-free tourism.