Learning For a Better Future
- Are you looking for an opportunity to give something back while you travel?
- Do you want to immerse yourself in local culture, customs and way of life?
- Are you in search of a rewarding and challenging experience that enables you to use your skills to benefit the people of Southern Thailand?
If so, a volunteer program in Southern Thailand with Andaman Discoveries could be for you. We are an award-winning social enterprise enabling visitors and volunteers to directly support village-led education, conservation, and cultural empowerment. Our programs in the Kuraburi area focus on teaching English is local schools and learning centers that would otherwise not have access to practicing and learning English from fluent speakers. With the opening of the ASEAN community in 2015, speaking English has become a priority for students living in Thailand. The ability to speak even basic English can offer more opportunities to children in this rural area.
- Burmese Learning Center
- Kuraburi Primary Schools
- Kuraburi High School
- Special Education Center
- Southern Thailand Orphanage
All of our programs are accessible from any hotel in the region, including Phuket, Khao Lak, Khao Sok, and Ranong
How You Make a Difference
Donating your time provides the children with a level of support and encouragement that can be absent in their lives. While you volunteer in Thailand at our projects, your presence and energy enrich the children’s lives in the following ways:
- By teaching English at the Burmese Learning Center, you will directly help to improve the lives and opportunities for Burmese migrant youth living in Thailand who would otherwise have NO access to education.
- Assisting at Local Thai Government Primary Schools and helping teach English allows the students to gain confidence and practice their skills.
- Teaching English at Kuraburi Highschool allows students to practice conversational English to improve test scores.
- Communicating with the children at the disabled school through song and dance brings joy and happiness into their lives, which facilitates growth as caring and happy individuals.
- Spending time at Home and Life Orphanage helps lift the burden of daily chores and offer the children training in hospitality in the coffee shop and bakery.
How to be a Responsible Volunteer
A better future for migrant children
The children of Burmese migrants in Thailand are faced with unique challenges that differ from other children in Thailand. Most Burmese migrant children are unable to access the Thai education system and their parents often have also received little or no education. This Learning Center provides education for up to 80 Burmese children that would other wise not be able to attend school. The support from volunteer teachers, like you, is crucial to break the cycle of poverty through sharing the gift of education.
Kuraburi Primary Schools
Access to English
The Kuraburi area is a stunningly beautiful places nestled between the Mountains and the ocean. Here most people make their living from the land and the sea, and new jobs in tourism and business can provide a more stable lifestyle for the future generations. Our volunteer programs at local schools aim to pair volunteers with local Thai English language teachers, to make lessons more interactive for students. Your presence in the class room encourages both the students and teachers to practice speaking and have fun! This experience allows you to immerse in the local culture and spend quality time in the quaint Kuraburi area.
Special Education Center
Supporting Children With Disabilities
Volunteering with disabled children in Thailand is a valuable way to spend some of your time overseas. This Special Education Center in Ranong provides education for disabled, autistic, and deaf children aged 4-16.
The school provides the children with a caring and stimulating environment to help them realize their potential in life. The school cares for around 35 children who come to the school each day from the surrounding area.
Southern Thailand Orphanage
Teaching, baking, art work, gardening, cooking
This small locally run orphanage in Southern Thailand that cares for 25 children who, for one reason or another, are unable to live with their natural families.
Thanks to the warm hearts and hard work of staff and volunteers, these children now have a safe, happy and supportive environment in which to live and grow.
Whether you are talented at teaching, baking, art, computers, writing, sewing, or gardening, there is a way for you to contribute.
Volunteer in Thailand – Program Fast Facts
|Accommodation||Orphanage: onsite bungalow which may be shared during busy periods
All other programs offer apartment style, private accommodation
|Meals||Orphanage: all meals
All other programs, lunch is included at the schools and centers
|Language requirements:||No Thai language is required. We will provide you with an English/Thai phrasebook to assist you with communication and Andaman Discoveries staff on call to help translate|
|Availability:||Orphanage: Closed the month of April
All other programs available during term time only: Jan – March, Mid May – August, October – December
|Trip length:||Orphanage: 1 – 8 Weeks
All other programs require at least 2 week time commitment
Longer periods are also available on request