CBT hard trek Pang Mapha’s another area where most different indigenous are living together in harmony is Pang Mapha. This trek will take you closer to 4 different indigenous cultures; Red Lahu, White Karen, Shan or Thai-Yai and Black Lahu. With total distance approximately 35 kms. that will lead your trek through beautiful limestone mountains, local farming and traditional cultures and local wisdom.
Day 1: Mae Hong Son or Pai – Ban Pha Mon (Red Lahu) (L,D)
Morning transfer from your hotel in Mae Hong Son or Pai, enjoy beautiful mountain highway. Stop over at Pang Mapha viewpoint for a short break. Afterwards continue driving to “Pa Mai Daeng” or Redwood Forest where the trail head is. Meet with local guide then kick-off for your 5 days trek
Lunch: at local farmer hut (local Red Lahu dishes)
Afternoon: enjoy your trek through local farming and Limestone Mountain and small nature waterfall for 3 hours. Late afternoon arrives at Ban Pha Mon a Red Lahu village. Check in homestay / free at leisure or observe and learn how local host family cooks your traditional Lahu foods.
Day 2: Ban Pha Mon to Ban Muang Pam (white Karen village) (B,L,D)
Morning breakfast at your homestay, pack up and continue your day 2 CBT trek to White Karen village. Today’s trek is about 5-6 hours. During the trek enjoy beautiful nature scenery.
Lunch: enjoy our team to experience jungle cooking style
Afternoon: continue trek through beautiful forest area and visit some local cave, rice paddy field, conservation forest area and etc. Late afternoon arrives at Ban Muang Pam warm welcome by Ban Muang Pam CBT club then check in homestay / free at leisure or observe and learn how local host family cooks your traditional Karen foods.
Day 3: Ban Muang Pam to Ban Mae Lana (Shan village) (B,L,D)
Today will be your longest trek. After your breakfast at your homestay, pack up and get on the bamboo raft along beautiful Lang River then continue your trek through the beautiful limestone mountain. Morning trek will take about 2 hours.
Lunch: Pack lunch in the forest or local farming.
Afternoon: Continue your trek, for another 3.5-4 hours then cut down the steep path to the valley of rice-fields where Shan village is located. Upon arrival meet your host family,
check in at your Shan homestay / free at leisure.
Evening: Enjoy your Shan dishes at your homestay. Goodnight
Day 4: Ban Mae Lana – Ban Jabo (Black Lahu) (B,L,D)
Today you don’t have to wake up early ☺. Breakfast at your homestay, then take a relax walk tour to experience a traditional way of life. Late morning pack up and say goodbye to your host family. Leave for the morning short trek to Ban Jabo about 1 hour. Upon arrival meet your host family.
Lunch: at your homestay enjoy Black Lahu foods
Afternoon: continue your trek to observe a pre-historic wood coffin cave where is located on the cliff. Experience the 2,000 -1,500 years old of Wood coffins. You will surprise how they had been moved to the high mountain. Late afternoon returns to the village and visit local school. Return to your homestay / free at leisure or join your host family to cook Lahu dishes.
Evening: Enjoy your Lahu dishes / free at leisure.
Day 5: Ban Jabo – Mae Hong Son (B,L)
Morning wake up and enjoy a morning panoramic of Limestone Mountains. Enjoy your breakfast at your homestay. Today you don’t have to trek but take a village walk tour to experience a Lahu traditional way of life; learn how to make bamboo weaving, learn how to play the Lahu instrument and learn how to make Lahu sewing and etc.
Lunch: at your homestay
Afternoon: pack up and last minute to say goodbye to Black Lahu host family and drive back to Mae Hong Son or Pai. End of service.
- English speaking tour leader 1 pax
- Transfer from Mae Hong Son to Trail head and return 4wd (6-7 pax per car)
- Entrance fee to national park
- 4 nights homestay with indigenous families (2-4 pax per family)
- mattress, pillow, warm blanket and mosquito net
- Toilet (squat toilet) and shower usually outside (warm water not available)
- Meals (B,L,D) total of meals 13
- Local guide from community
- Tour activities; trekking to the summit of Doi Pui, visit rotational farming, observe local culture such as, Karen hand weaving cloth and natural color dye
- Drinking water and snacks
- Vat 7%
- Personal expenses
- Accommodation in Mae Hong Son
- Air fare
- Other contribution to community
What To bring:
- Culturally sensitive clothing
- Old clothing for outdoor activities
- Strong shoes, Warm jumper, Tough, long pants, towel, flip-flop
- Personal uses; toothpaste, toothbrush, soap or shower cream and shampoo
- Torch and batteries
- Photos of home / family for cultural exchange
- Optional: Blanket or sleeping bag
- Optional: personal water bottle Sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
- Insect repellent
- Camera and battery charger
Please be noted:
- Homestay supplied with mattress, mosquito net, pillow, warm blanket, squat toilet.
- Toilet usually locates outside the house.
- Most of the toilet will have 2 bins or buckets of water; 1 is for squat toilet and another one for taking a bath.
- Please put used toilet paper in rubbish bin.
- Host family usually let guests to enjoy the meals first. So do not worry about the host family. They usually eat later.
- Communicate with the local community; simply use your body language and your emotion to communicate with them.