Way of Life on a Remote Island – Moken Immersion
Tung Dap village is surrounded by natural beauty. The village is located on Koh Phra Thong Island, bordered by the Andaman Sea and accessible only by boat. A one-lane road connects villager’s homes, with no automobile traffic or convenience stores. Transport comes in the form of one’s feet, a bicycle, or on a small tractor with trailer.
Small-scale fishing is the predominant form of income. The villagers sell fish, squid, and crab at a local pier. Other sources of income include fish farming and collection of forest products.
Coconuts are abundant and served as a fresh, juicy beverage; a snack; a delicious ingredient for a dessert; and income for the community. Don’t be surprised if you are offered a whole coconut, still on the machete used to retrieve it!
The sea is a short, one-kilometer walk from the village school. The soothing waves rolling gently onto the beach serve as a reminder of the Moken villagers’ history. Tung Dap is a great place to relax, swim, hike and explore.
“I felt as comfortable as in my own home; things were done naturally, spontaneously, and genuinely from the heart. Even though we had language barriers, we communicated greatly as far as getting friendly with one another. It was a beautiful moment of exchange and sharing.” – Galaad and Julian, France
Moken Encounter c2c TungDap 2 Day 1 night
Moken Immersion:3 day 2 night
Day 1 – Cultural Exchange
- Hop on a long‐tail boat to Tung Dap Village, along the way ride through the unique mangrove forest
- Learn how to make squid traps with local fisherman or weave palm fronds into animal shapes ‐ keep as souvenir
- Tractor ride to a long stretch of deserted beach to learn about the local occupations of fishing, collecting edible oysters and tin mining
- Relax on the beach and enjoy a beautiful sunset or help prepare the evening meal of the freshest sea food and Thai specialties
- Share stories with your home stay family
Day 2 – Natural Wonders
- Enjoy the Savannah from the back of a homemade tractor. Try to catch a glimpse of wildlife, such as deer and birds, or find a honeycomb up in the trees
- Head out with your local guide into the mangrove ecosystem to catch crabs, fish or gather shells
- Talk with your new local friends or take a walk to the beach and enjoy another colorful sunset
Day 3 – Village Life
- Join the local women to make a traditional Moken dessert from local “kanomjak” flour and coconut.
- After lunch, Transfer back to the Andaman Discoveries’ office for debriefing, End of program.
- Transfer from Kuraburi to village
- Accommodation in homestay
- English speaking guide
- Activities and food full board as mention in the program
- Travel insurance
- Community fund for the village
For more information on Tung Dap village click here…