Study Tours and Service Learning Tours
Andaman Discoveries study tour programs provide students with a personalized service trip set in the traditional culture and ecology of the rural, tsunami-impacted Andaman Coast of southern Thailand. We work closely with educators to provide comprehensive study tours that meet specific pedagogical objectives and include cultural highlights of the country at the most competitive price possible.
Our study tour program offers educational and community service trips to schools, universities, and educational institutes for students of all ages and abilities. Experience is the best teacher, and we organize hands on, student-centered learning activities led by a team of trained International and Thai staff.
Lead your students on an exploration adventure of a life time! Take your study topics out side of the classroom and allow interactive learning to take place in the cultural and natural diversity of the North Andaman Coast. Stay at the home of a Thai family in a small village to immerse your group into different aspects of Thai life. Participate in authentic cultural exchange with the help of your translator and enjoy delicious homemade meals made with care. Engage in local conservation efforts and enjoy the beauty of the pristine nature in the region.
Learning Objectives include:
- Study the key cultural, economic, and sustainability issues of these coastal communities.
- Direct service – understand how service learning and reciprocal learning works to benefit students as well as communities.
- Study the biodiversity and inter relatedness of the eco-systems in the region including mangroves, beaches, tropical rain forests, coral reefs, and estuaries.
- Explore first-hand the interrelation of community development, coastal ecology, natural resource use, and conservation (e.g. traditional livelihoods and culture, tourism, community organizing, and environmental action).
- Experiential learning of analytical concepts such as sustainability, gender equity, and community vulnerability/resilience.
- Access a community’s knowledge base on disaster management, natural resources, and traditional livelihoods.
- Conduct effective scientific and/or sociological field research, surveys, and exchanges in local communities;
Study tour programs provide students with a personalized service trip set in the traditional culture and ecology of the rural, tsunami-impacted Andaman Coast of southern Thailand. We work closely with educators to provide comprehensive study tours that meet specific pedagogical objectives and include cultural highlights of the country at the most competitive price possible.
Southern Thailand boasts two of the world’s oldest ecosystems: jungle and coral reefs. The area also has extensive mangrove forests, soaring waterfalls, and lush jungles perfect for exploring and understanding the relationship between natural resources and human activity.
We engage students with educational and fun activities that allow them to understand the interrelationships between culture, nature, and human activity. Understanding and respecting the world helps students to realize their place and responsibility to reduce their impact on the environment.
We are committed to education for sustainability and all activities are carefully designed to encourage reflection, critical thinking, and group collaboration. By helping students recognize the links between human activity and the environment, we encourage local, regional, and global citizenship.
Custom programs available for families, groups and educational institutions for people of all ages. Our groups & families tour information is being updated. Please contact us for more details.
“It has been an amazing week for me. It is definitely the best trip yet!” – Ross School Student
“This trip was incredible. We felt so fortunate to have an amazing and knowledgeable guide. I will recommend Andaman Discoveries to all my friends, especially of they want to experience the real Thailand” -Colorado University Student
“I learned so much about the culture and country of Thailand. I met the most amazing people at the homestay and Burmese Learning Center, it was an unforgettable experience.” -Hilversum International School Student