Koh Surin National Park is a paradise of fine white sandy beaches, thick jungle, crystal-clear waters, and the most extensive coral reef in Thailand. It is also home of the Moken, a nomadic group of sea faring people who have lived in the waters of the Andaman Sea for centuries. Koh Surin National Park is the ideal place to go for people wanting to experience nature in its most beautiful and pristine form, and connect with a culture that can still practice some of its traditions in this modern world.
Sample of Moken Experiences: Private Tour:
Day 1 – Arrive to Kuraburi
- Pre‐trip briefing at the Andaman Discoveries office. Explore the evening market and enjoy a
delicious meal at a local restaurant
Day 2 – Moken Village Visit
- Breakfast at the local market with your translator
- Transfer to Surin island by speedboat
- Explore the village and learn the intricate relationship between the Moken and their surrounding environment. Talk about the brightly colored ‘’Spirit Poles’’ and Moken homes, built on wooden stilts directly on the beach
- Forest hike ‐ Your guide will highlight medicinal herbs, edible species, and those used in construction of traditional houseboats
- Have a packed lunch under the shade of a tree on a beach near the village
- Snorkeling‐ Your guide will take you to a wonderland of colorful tropical fish and allow you
to witness the impressive Moken swimming techniques, how they have adapted to living in the water, and why they love it
Day 3 – Life of the Sea Gypsies
- Snorkeling‐ Enjoy the clear waters and watch as your Moken guide spots sea turtles swimming in the waters
- Snorkeling with your Moken guide or return to the village to spend more time with your new friends
- Return to the park headquarters, you may even see some flying and macaque monkey’s
Day 4– Mythology of the Moken
- In the Moken village, try your hand at rowing a Moken ‘’row‐boat’’ and re‐enacting their method of spear fishing
- Spend more time in village or head out for one more snorkel exploration
- After lunch, transfer to Andaman Discoveries office for debriefing.
Moken Community Fund
Proceeds from our private tours are donated to the Moken Community Fund which servers the Moken and their greater needs. Funds can go towards community improvements, health emergencies and elderly care.
All donations are greatly appreciate, please click here to be redirected to Paypal: